June 14, 2013

Personalized Wire Hanger

My oldest brother is getting married in September of this year and I was invited to their bridal shower a few weeks ago. I've seen these personalized wire hangers all over Pinterest and originally was going to order them from Etsy, but decided that I was capable of making them myself. It is actually easier than it looks and inexpensive. This is the finished product of the gift I made for them to use on their big day:


You'll Need:



- Wooden hanger
- 12 Gauge aluminum wire
- Pliers
- Wire cutter
- Masking tape
- Spray paint (I used Krylon Short Cuts in Iris)
- Pearl beads (optional)

Directions:


1. Cover the metal part of your hanger with some masking tape.
2. Lay out some newspaper and spray paint your hanger one side at a time. The spray paint I used dried really quick so I did the second coat 30 minutes after.


3. While the paint is fully drying, get started on the wire part.
4. Measure out the length of your hanger on a piece of paper. Write out your cursive on a piece of paper as you want it to look. This blog has some great wire templates for upper and lowercase letters.



5. Unwind you wire and be sure to leave some spare wire before starting and after finishing so that you could center it when it attaching it to the hanger. Lay your wire on the paper and follow along your template, use pliers to squeeze the tighter loops if needed.
6. Once you are done, cut the wire and attach it to your hanger. You can do this by just wrapping the wire around the hanger a few times or you can drill a hole and secure it with some glue.
7. I decorated it by adding some pearl beads to the wire before attaching it onto the hanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment